Thursday 18 February 2010

Echoes of my mum...

I remember the morning I lost my mum as though it were yesterday. I had sat and held her hand in the hospital all night and had watched her slip further and further away from me in a confused and pain-ridden state that was just heart breaking and so very distressing to watch. Eventually though, she became peaceful and I climbed onto the bed with her and lay next to her with my head on her chest, feeling peace and calm wash through both of us. It therefore seemed a perfectly natural progression when her heart started gradually beating slower and slower to the point where the final beat, when it came, was neither a shock nor distressing. I just closed my eyes a little tighter, snuggled in just a little closer and took a few of the deepest breaths that I think I have ever taken. That is where I stayed until I felt ready to stand up and face my new world. My altered world. A world in which something inside me had switched off. Just like that. I had climbed onto that bed the daughter of a mother. A daughter who could not even contemplate life without the constant love and guidance of the woman who had given me my life. A daughter terrified by the new reality that was clearly now just a matter of an hour or so ahead of me. I stood up a  completely different person. I'm not sure what had changed but I was different. I felt alone in a way that I had never felt before but strangely I didn't feel the overwhelming grief that I had feared for so very long. I do recall later that evening sitting in my lounge in a daze and then hearing somebody, somewhere in the distance starting to scream. It took me at least a minute to realise that it was me. I remember very vividly what had frightened me so much though..I suddenly became afraid that without my mum I would forget how to be a mother to my own young children. I had learnt everything I knew from her and I was terrified that without her input and guidance I just wouldn't know how to be a mum anymore. I eventually calmed down and went to bed, just totally exhausted. For the first time in months I didn't lie there thinking of my mum afraid and in pain and I knew that the phone wouldn't ring in the night with some terrible news. For the second time that day, peace swept through my body and I slept.

The years since have been ones of quiet acceptance for all that was lost that day. They have not been years filled by a crushing grief and despair but by what can best be described as numbness, interrupted by periods of calm sadness. There has been a perpetual feeling of something missing though. Something has been out of balance inside me and I haven't been able to put it into words. It is a feeling. Not a collection of words that can either be written or spoken. Then last night something happened that blew the mist clean out of my mind and the answer to the question of what I have missed so very much flooded into my heart and soul like a tidal wave. In my rush to answer a phone call, I tripped over a cable and ended up thumping my head into the wall of my lounge. It was a hard knock and I immediatley began to feel dizzy and nauseous. I was on the laptop talking to a dear friend, who is the mom of another of my good friends. As soon as I told her what had happened she took complete control and I could feel her fear and worry in every word she typed to me. She was tired but she kept me talking until we could work out what was happening with me and it was her who made me stay awake and made me agree to go to the hospital. She then said that she would stay up until she heard that I was ok, no matter how late it was. I have so many wonderful friends who would have done just the same thing for me, with no hesitation, but this was different. This was the worry and concern of a mother. Ok, so not my mother but a lady who has felt like a mum to me for a while now. I was in pain and frightened and for the first time since I lost my mum I felt the protective arms of a mother around me, worrying about me and making me know that everything would be alright if I just listened to her and did as she said. It was then that I realised what I have missed and so quietly and inwardly grieved for all of these years. My place in the hierarchy of care-giving had in an instant changed forever as I stood up from that bed and faced my new life. Suddenly I was still the mother figure giving care and love to my own children but the person who had given the same care and love to me had gone. No wonder we mothers feel so empty and alone when we lose our own mothers...we carry on nurturing and protecting our children, trying to also plug the gaping hole left in their lives by the loss of their beloved grandma, at the same time that our own source of unconditional love and our own support system is pulled from under our feet. This evening, I have felt able to open up and talk about my mum and losing her for almost the first time since I lost her. Tonight I allowed tears to flow freely for the first time too and, although my adopted momma is half a world away, she listened to me and wiped away each and every tear as it fell. After all, isn't that what mums do?

For my mum...I read this at her funeral and think of her whenever I hear it...

12 comments:

  1. Your writing is the most beautiful writing I have ever come across. I am not a big reader - I rarely ever read and the reason is, something really has to reach out and grab me to make me want to. That said, your words touch me in a way that makes me want to read, and read, and then im disappointed when the piece comes to an end. I think that you are truly gifted, and think what most people would give to be able to write like that.

    You should write a book, compile all these pieces as a book of short stories! And then when its a best seller, thank me for the idea in the preface! (and a % of the profits wouldnt be turned down) :)

    Your words are inspiring and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish, thank you so much. It means a whole lot to me that you like my writing and the words you've written above are a real inspiration for me to continue writing more. Now I want to see YOU do some writing - having talked to you, I can't believe that you wouldn't write beautifully. Why not give it a go? You could start by writing something along the lines of the poem "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple" dedicated to the clearly insane woman you share Pick 'n' Mix with :)

    Go on..start a blog..go on..I think you should..go on..I won't mention it again but..go on..you know you want to really..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful....just beautiful

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tracey..this was a tough one for me but writing it has done me a whole world of good.

    *Hugs right on back*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how difficult that must have been for you to write. Thank you for sharing that part of yourself. I am glad you have your Yank mum. She is quite special :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know Mel, writing it has been hugely therapeutic for me. I have rarely talked about it, although I did intend to recently but simply ran out of time to do so. Yes..she is very special and I'm lucky to have her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...thanks Diane, for making me cry first thing in the morning! As you and I have talked about this already, you know that this song, also, is the song that means my mother to me. And, like you, I cry with sadness at losing her, happiness at the memories, and with grateful tears that somehow, some way she was the mother, along with my dad who were chosen to adopt me.

    Since the internet came along I've always had this silly fantasy that those of us who have hit it off in life as dear friends via the 'Net and who've lost our mothers, have moms who are still taking note of what we're up to and get together for coffee with each other to chat about our comings and goings. Silly, but can't you see the scenario of, for example, Jude's mom and mine (Jude and I decided long ago that our moms would like each other!) saying, "Hey, Jude and Kate have a new friend, Diane. Let's go find Diane's mom and get her with us in the coffee club."

    I think what you've written, Diane is spot on. The one thing I would add to it is the absolute emptiness and ache of the realization that, even though the joy of childhood remained throughout your life, the pain of immediately becoming an orphan is immense, gut-wrenching and only able to be understood when it happens. Yet, we survive and grow stronger eventually with the realization we've become the "next generation." And, it becomes our time to be wise and the voice of reason to those who follow. Every day I hope I'm up to the task that has been given to me. I believe you feel much the same.

    I'm glad you stepped into my life, Diane.

    Love and hugs,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy did this bring back memories and feelings! Just about everything you said is what I felt, from holding my Mom's hand as she passed, to feeling like the ONE unconditional love for me was now gone. I was suddenly an orphan when she passed, as my Dad had passed years before. When "orphan" dawned in my thoughts, I broke down completely.

    Well written Diane. It doesn't hurt so painfully anymore, but like you it's a quiet sadness now. A hole in my heart and life that will never be filled again, not until I am in her arms once again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate and Jude - I'm sure that neither of you have any idea what your words above mean to me, or how comforting they are. Mind you, you have shown such tremendous insight into everything that I went through after losing my parents that maybe you both know just how lovely it is to know that you have both felt the same things as I have.

    What particularly strikes me is the way that both of you referred to the feeling of suddenly being an orphan. I thought it totally ridiculous that I felt like that but, as you said Jude, the realisation of the fact that that was JUST how I felt was shattering. After all, orphans are scruffy young urchins who plead "Please sir...can I have some more?" and gaily pick pockets through the streets of Ye Olde London Town. Orphans aren't women in their thirties who have children of their own. Or so I thought until the day that my font of unconditional love was taken away from me. Nothing in my life has ever been quite the same since that day, as I know you will both understand.

    I am blessed to have both of you in my life. Long may our mums be friends too and here's to the three of them...may they enjoy many mocca-chocca-cappucinos as they discuss us and our shenanigans :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Traci McDonough26 April 2010 at 18:51

    Oh,Diane - you write so beautifully! A true gift indeed. As I read about you, your mother and death, I felt as if though I was in your heart feeling what you were feeling. I must also say that I was a wee bit jealous because my mother and I have an awful relationship and if she passes before I do, I won't be able to experience the feelings you got to. That may sound crass or even rude, but I don't mean it that way - I guess I mean that I wish I could have such a great relationship with my mother that when she does go, I could feel sad and mournful and experience grief - and I'm afraid I will never have that. You are lucky to have had a mother such as you had. I'm sorry for your loss, but very happy to read about her through your loving heart put on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for those words Traci. This was so very hard for me to write but it was also very calming and soothing too. I'm so sorry that you haven't got a good relationship with your mom because you're right...the grief that I felt was like a direct reflection of the amount of love that she and I shared. If it's any kind of sonsolation to you at all Traci, I think that you yourself are a truly awesome mom who is clearly deeply loved by her son xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Traci McDonough28 April 2010 at 22:37

    Thank you, Diane. I hope you are right about the love between my son and me - I believe you are though, thank goodness. Off to check on the USA Trip....

    ReplyDelete