Thursday 23 December 2010

The man who taught me to sneeze...

Once upon a time I met a man and he hurt me. Many times. Very much. And then a little more. Many of my friends told me that enough was enough and that I should never allow him to be in a position to hurt me again, a couple of people wanted to do him physical damage and believed him to be manipulative and intentionally cruel and a few more told me to hold on. To give him the chance to put things right. To believe in my own judgement and to not give up on him. Eventually though, he even pushed them too far and then in the end there was really just one person who still saw the total good in him. One person in addition to me, that is. I knew the kindness and compassion that this man had deep, deep down in his soul. When I looked into his deep blue eyes I saw a whole range of emotions including love, kindness, pain, confusion, guilt, regret and, above all, blind panic in the face of an uncertain future that terrified him. He tried to move past the fear but it quite simply paralysed him and made an inherently good man behave in 'bad' ways that caused chaos and pain all around him. I understood this. I knew why it was that he treated me in the way that he did and because of this I never lost sight of the fact that I ultimately trusted my judgement and my belief that he didn't have an intentionally bad bone in his body. That deep down the man I knew he was was still there but he was buried so totally in his own pain that it would take more strength than I ultimately thought he may have to break free from it.

I'm not going to defend him anymore though. I don't need to and I know that he wouldn't want me to. Almost four months have now passed since the insanity of out three months of trauma ended and he would never, ever want me to try and excuse the way that he behaved. He is his own harshest critic and judge and I know that he still suffers on a daily basis because of what he put me, and others, through. He was incalcuably cruel. He was selfish. He was erratic. Most of all though, he was frightened. It was his fear that ultimately brought him out of the spiral of destructive and self-destructive behaviour....the realisation that the thing that he feared the most was losing me.

Things have not been easy in the past few months and the legacy of those early months continue to take a toll. We have both cried because of them, very recently, and I know that he sheds many a private tear too when he thinks back to them. I think it's time to move on though. The man who did the things he did doesn't exist anymore. He didn't exist prior to that insane three months and I know that he will never exist again.

The man I now know has proven himself to be even more than I initially believed him to be, more worth fighting for than even I knew. This isn't because of how he makes me feel about him but how he makes me feel about myself. To him I am beautiful. To him I am precious and treasured. To him I am worthy of all of the love and attention that I ever dreamt of having in my life. I could write for paragraph after paragraph of the things that this extraordinary man has brought to my life but I have flu and am rather too tired. I want him to read this tonight though. I want him to know that what he did for me today finally took almost all of the 'maybe' out of our relationship. I shall keep it there because we have both rather got used to our little 'maybe' now but I quite simply can't imagine not having it there anymore. This morning I dragged myself out of bed with a chest infection so bad that even walking upstairs at home meant being so breathless that I took at least ten minutes to recover. I had planned to go and see Graham on the train but I had no idea how I would drag myself there and almost cancelled the trip. I went though because, quite simply, I knew he would somehow not only make me feel better but actually make me better somehow. I first felt his guiding hand in the middle of my back as soon as I got off the train, a hand full of deep concern for how ill he could see I was. When I got into the house I saw that he had already put a duvet and pillows onto the sofa for me and had arranged a couple of little tables in easy reach for drinks, my laptop and the remote control. He had even put a pair of his slippers next to the sofa for me in case my feel got cold. He took my boots and socks off for me, covered me up and then sat and gently stroked my head until I relaxed so much that I felt my lungs working just a little easier. He then went off to work for a few hours and I almost immediately fell asleep feeling safe, loved and just very happy. There have been many times over the past few months that he has proven to me what a wonderful and unique man he is and he has spent many, many hours travelling up and down the motorways to take care of or help me, my sister (who adores him and calls him her best friend) or my kids. His behaviour has been totally immaculate and I trust him. Totally and without reservation. I know I am safe in his arms and, apart from randomly treading on my toes, sticking his elbows into my ankles and clumsily visiting all sorts of random minor injuries on me on a daily basis (clumsy does not even BEGIN to go there!) I know he will never hurt me. I need him to know that. It matters and it is time.

So, on 23rd December 2010 two special things happened:

1. I wrote a blog about Graham Spencer.
2. Graham Spencer taught me how to sneeze and I never even knew I didn't know how to sneeze before. I thought that the way I have always sneezed was the right way. Just shows what I know, huh? Come to think of it, I also never knew that when a man loves a woman it is absolutely normal for him to do the multitude of little things on a daily basis just to make sure that she knows it, feels it and believes it with every bone of her body. See...sneezing and love would appear, for Diane, to be rather similar things...funny the things that a girl still has to learn at the ripe old age of 46.

I can't think of the perfect way to end this but, as my chest infection turns more and more into a head cold, I think that there is only one more thing to say....says Diane as she releases one huge, beautiful and perfectly formed ATCHOOOO :)





22 comments:

  1. I just don't know what to say apart from I do not deserve such kind words... To say that I hurt you the first three months of our relationship is somewhat of an understatement...I don't know or recognise that man. This is not a "cop out" just fact, we talk about what happened and the pain I put you through, I find it hard now to recall some specifics although others will never leave me and for those times I will search etertnally for the reasons behind the actions... The one thing however that never changed despite and regardless of how I treat you was your belief in me as a "good" man. For the rest of my life and regardless of where our paths may lead us, I will never forget that. I know some of your friends still have, and I suppose will always have there doubts, that is there prerogative. All I know is that I love you Malinowski with all my heart and will never do anything to hurt the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with..... Maybe :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful sweetie, but if you don't learn how to spell 'there' and 'their' PDQ, I will punch you. I'm an English teacher, so for goodness sake man...know your audience!! :)

    Oh and when I say I will punch you, I don't mean 'maybe' either xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look..your bloody ladyship... You come to my county, have my family eating out of your hand in two minutes flat, they all think you're wonderful..convert my dad into something I've never seen before (neither has my mother come to think of it) we've never seen him laugh...and all you can do is pick me up on some dumb cluck of a "he says potatoe she says porarrrrtoe"...by the way I'm not scared Malinowski 'cos I can run quicker than you...at the moment that is, due to the chest infection...oh and the knobness of me leaning on your bad ankle today (sorry by the way)..oops

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham, you are going to have to stop writing on your I-phone because everytime you do a '...' you leave a space and it starts the next word with a capital letter, which it shouldn't have. Plonker! Now, as for Dad, all I can say is that I find him to be a wonderfully smiley, happy and lovely individual. I find it hard to believe that he has ever been any other way. Fact!

    This is no kind of potato/portartow situation either. It is a question of grammar and spelling. The two are quite different, as you well know. Now, stop being grammatically erratic and get a grip!!!

    Oh and are you SURE that that is REALLY the correct way to sneeze? Because (and shhhh now) I just did two huge ones 'your way' and I think I may have peed myself just a little both times. THAT never happened before!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..I pinch the end before I sneeze, but of course you don't have that option do you...doesn't stop me from peeing myself I just like it.. :)

    ...grammatically erratic, I can't spell it (copied yours) never mind stop it!

    My dad ha never been the same since you came into our lives, I can honestly say you are the only person he actually looks forward to seeing..........go. Oh, and by the way, I've reminded him that he never carried out his threat to serve you lunch in the Brussels patch...that pleasure still awaits, I'll post pictures, so wash behind your ears.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha...I also just peed myself a little when I laughed while reading your first paragraph! Methinks that maybe your sneezing technique has started off the next part of the process of becoming an incontinent and dribbling old woman. Cheers Dude! As for the pinching the end just for the sheer pleasure of it, I have only one word for you..PERVERT! (Bet I've never said THAT to you before, huh?).

    Dad seemed genuinely pleased to see me today actually and I noticed a smile on his face more than a couple of times. I think he was genuinely worried about me too.

    My ears are always immaculate. Even when I sneeze!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's the "becoming" bit...you've always dribbled for as long as I've know you love, I just thought it was what you did, I simply thought never mind, it comes to some earlier than others... As for PERVERT, now let me think...nope, don't think you've said that to me before...well at least not before lunch anyway!

    I have a confession to make, dad wasn't smiling, he had some bacon stuck underneath his top set of false teeth...bless

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silly boy. I have often said it before lunch. And after lunch. Does that pretty much have all of the time slots covered?

    Well Graham Spencer, I am going to haul my ass on up to bed now and try to sleep a little tonight. If I can stop sneezing, that is!

    Thank you again for today. You were awesome. Thanks for sending the goodie bag home for Scott and Lara too. Scott was particularly impressed that the Stella was still in it :)

    Sleep well. Pervert :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...it was!!!.. bugger, meant to drink those first..hey ho.. :)

    Sleep well sweetheart, and remember, if you can't sleep call me, doesn't matter what the time is, just call me..OK? xxx

    Good night love x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just finished reading this lovely blog entry. I must say that I am so happy that the two of you stuck it out through those rough first months so that you were able to make it to where you are now - a beautifully matched couple, so much in love. I am ecstatic for both of you and wish with all of my heart that I could meet you both in person sometime soon.

    I don't know about the proper way to sneeze, but maybe someday you guys could fill me in. I'd hate to think I've been doing it wrong all of my life! Lol!

    The love you two have for each other is so very obvious, it's joyous to "watch" you fall more and more in love. :-)

    I wish you both a very merry first Christmas together and hope you have many more to come!

    Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Traci... aka Chuck, you are the one and only person who, for some weird, maybe satanic (well I don't know do I), reason never gave up on us and I think as the days, weeks and months have progressed you've seen through Facebook if nothing else, how our love for each other has grown and grown... We were talking earlier tonight, and I'm quite serious about this, that the one person from all Diane's friends we simply MUST meet together is our Traci... :)

    Oh, and by the way....don't believe all that bull shit about you Christmas present not being much...It took months to source, weeks to come, and the only reason that you don't have it yet is that DHL's insurance don't cover up to that amount...Only kidding (guess you know that) but what we bought you'll like for sure... By the way, did you like the Leo diamonds.....if she wanted one of those I'd have to sell the bloody car!!.....or my body....car it is then.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ....hey, and you helped us to win £50 plus when we went to the dog track for our Christmas night out..nice on CHUCK ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Graham, it may have been something satanic - but I seriously doubt it. Somewhat. (lol!) You're thoroughly correct - I have been able to see things get better for the two of you and it just thrills me.

    The thought that you guys bought me something at all is so surprising and sweet that I will love it no matter what it is. I guarantee you this. I told Diane earlier that I just threw away my birthday flowers a couple of days ago because they meant so much to me in a sentimental type of way.

    Yes, of course I loved the Leo diamond. What proper lady wouldn't? (Or even a satanic, improper lady!) I say sell your body, you may get more for it. Though come to think of it, what kind of car do you drive? :-)

    I was happy to "help" you win the money - perhaps I could be the good luck charm for the two of you. Lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, it's 9am on Christmas eve and I'm reading this for the third time this morning...hard copy this time, one I can carry around with me (sad aren't I)...and still I have tears streaming down my face, don't worry Diane, I've closed my office door we don't want the guys seeing the manager of a national distribution centre as a jibbering wreck now do we.

    My one "hope" is that some day people other than our close friends who already know so, so much about our journey will be able to read this, and, I hope for them to be able to say to themselves "yeap, it was right, they belong together"...tall order I know but hey, you never know now do you... Jibbering again I know, I just wish I had your command and prowess of the English language to help me to put into words what I'm trying to say Malinowski... Guess I'm better at the actions bit eh...(apart from my obvious clumsy knobness)... Wouldn't be me otherwize I suppose :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. “I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.”

    So said Mother Teresa and if you can't trust a penguin to give you the straight-up... well, then... eh, who can you believe?

    Keep loving each other.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Graham- it wasn't that I had my doubts about the two of you, you just have to know me to know how protective I am about the people that I love. I am one fierce mamma bear when it comes to them. Perhaps it's the military brat in me or growing up in such a large family. I don't know. It's just the way I am. Loyal and loving to the end. Diane will tell you that it was more me worrying about her than not believing in you. ;)

    Diane- more beautiful words have never been written. You have a way with them my dear. I for one am glad to see you used your instincts and your heart to guide you to the man you have before you. It's been a roller coaster of a few months, to say the least, but one hell of a ride ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mel, believe me if I'd have been you, I'd have given up on me long before people actually did. I understand and indeed condone such actions, quite understandably. You are a special and loyal friend Melanie and I for one feel that Diane is very safe whilst you are around. It has been a privilege for me to get to know you over the past few months and indeed learn how much you really mean to this special lady. I will keep her safe Mel...trust me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. It has been a privilege to me as well to get to know you Graham. I cannot wait to meet you in person in April. I look forward to it ;) I trust that you will keep her safe. Mamma bear will hop on a plane and cross the pond if you don't lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Melanie....you will never need to buy that ticket :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Traci, Nikki, Melanie...thank you all so much for your comments. They mean a lot to me and I know that they mean a lot to Do-nut too. Maybe even more to him than me, to be quite honest, as he is the one dealing with the things that he did and trying to understand why. He was so touched by what I wrote that he showed it to his mam and dad today and told them all about what happened. I'm so proud of him for refusing to try and escape from any of the responsibility.

    Anyway, that is enough of the serious stuff. It's Christmas!! Whoot!!

    So, for the record:

    1. Still sneezing and still peeing a little .Dammit Spencer. What did you DO to me?

    2. Graham is, I assume, still regularly squeezing the end, just for the fun of it, although I can't confirm this as I am 100 miles away. I know about these things though :)

    3. He will be selling the car. He decided that going for his body would just be plain deluded.

    4. The penguins are still always right.

    5. Melanie WILL buy that ticket and destroy you should you be a knob again Spencer. Just saying ;)

    6. I'm ready for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep you can put money on number 5 ;) Just saying xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Let you in on a little secret Melanie...you can put money on number 2 too ;)

    ReplyDelete