Friday 29 January 2010

Final Chapter...

Sometimes a story simply doesn't need a middle. Sometimes it hardly needs an end. Sometimes it just ceases to be..somewhere along the way it just disappears and its passing is not even noticed. It usually has an opening chapter, of course, one that occasionally can be so full of promise and anticipation for the story that lies ahead that the very idea of the narrative coming to a sudden, unexplained end seems such a waste of potential. I tried really hard to find an ending to my story...I was willing to leave out the middle bit, but I felt that it was a tale that deserved to end with a nice, definitive full stop. No unanswered questions. No cliffhangers. No loose ends. The problem was though that by the time I had the heart to write my definitive ending, the time for writing it had come and gone. It quite simply didn't matter anymore. Maybe, on reflection, that is my perfect ending right there. It just doesn't matter anymore. Full stop.

3 comments:

  1. Not sure what this is about Diane, but I do hope all is okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks Jude..all is fine though. It follows on from the story I posted a couple of weeks ago. The 'chapter one' that you commented on. I wrote that a few years ago and recently started to try to continue it..just to find I really couldn't give a damn anymore. It was quite cathartic to realise that actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I see, well that's a good thing then. :-)

    ReplyDelete