Saturday 16 January 2010

Shannon...

This last few days, I have sat and watched Lara for many hours - I've watched her struggling for breath and I've watched her sleeping peacefully in a way that almost managed to hide how very sick she was. I've seen her afraid and I've witnessed her humour and grit shine through inspite of how fragile she was feeling. One if the most touching things that I have seen though is the interaction between her and her boyfriend, Shannon.

He first entered her life about a year ago and for many months they were just very special friends. I first caught a glimpse of that an extraordinary young man he is when Lara was home alone with swine flu in the summer when I was in America. He moved into our house to take care of her and sat up with her every night, watching her and making sure that she was alright. She still insisted that they were just friends but I couldn't help hoping that one day they may be more to each other. A few weeks later, they were.

He has impressed me beyond words from the first time I met him. He is patient, he is honest and he quite simply adores my little girl in a way that all parents must hope for for their child. He cherishes every single thing about her and totally appreciates every thing that is so special about her. Above all, I know that he wouldn't change a single thing about her.

I don't know what I would have done without him the last few days. He took time off work and came rushing up to the hospital and from the moment he walked in, Lara just completley relaxed. I watched him hold her hand and move the hair from her face as she slept. I saw him hold her and stroke her hair. I saw him just sit and look at her with fear in his eyes as she lay in that bed and struggled to breathe. He loves her, really loves her, so very much.

Last night, when she was discharged, she wanted to go back to her university room for the night with Shannon rather than come to my hotel with me. She just wanted to be with him and I felt totally comfortable with that. The thing is that I have no fear or worry that anything would happen to her when she is with him and I know that he will have sat awake all night and just watched over her. I also am completely certain that she will have relaxed with him in just the way that she needed to in order to be able to breathe more easily and get some rest. So, as I watched them walk into her flat last night, holding hands, I just knew that she was in hands that are every bit as safe as mine and it was the most wonderful feeling.

Right now, they are fast asleep upstairs and once again, I know that if anything goes wrong with her health in the night, he will be right there with her and will do just what is right to take care of her. I feel so very fortunate that this man loves my daughter and to see her so cherished and loved is one of the best feelings I have ever had.


I'm going to hand over to Jeff now...I trust his judgement in all things but on the subject of Shannon I trust it more than ever. He has the words that I don't to be able to describe the exceptional young man who I totally trust to take care of and protect my precious daughter.

12 comments:

  1. *GRIN* Thanks!

    Anyway - I got the chance to meet Shannon while I was in the UK on Leave from duty in Iraq. It was a lot of fun watching Shannon and Lara interact - Those of you who know me might know that I'm a tad bit overprotective of females every now and again, so I naturally scrutinize the males in their lives a bit closely.

    It took about 5 minutes to realize that Lara had a really good man in her life and that I needn't worry a bit.

    It's nothing big - Nothing like what he did for her just the other night. It's the LITTLE things that show his quality. He pretty much caves in to her every whim...unless it's something that would negatively impact her. In that case, she's out of luck and all the wheedling in the world won't do her a bit of good. He has her best interests in mind and will brook no dissent when it comes to making sure her life goes well.

    And that's rare. One of the best definitions of love I've ever read was "When someone else's happiness and well-being are vital to, and more important than, your own." He personifies that. He is one of those rare men who cherish and protect and honor the women in their lives. Someone with strength but who uses that strength to support their partner rather than to suppress them.

    In every way, although he is young, he is a Man.

    Or, as my friend Fluffy might put it - he's more than just a man, he's a mammal....;-)

    Orion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - that is perfect and see..you said it so much better than me!

    Do you remember when we'd been for lunch and dropped Shannon off at the station and then had about 5 mins to get Lara back to uni for her seminar? There was loads of traffic on the road so I took a complete magical mystery tour of a diversion. She was getting so pissed at me and to try and distract her you did a bit of a character sketch of Shannon for her. The most wonderful thing you said is that he is confident enough in himself to be able to sit back and allow her to shine. I will never forget the smile on her face as you said that!

    Oh and remember that same evening when we took her shopping to the supermarket after dinner and her and I locked horns as she kept trying to sneak expensive things into the cart? You just sat back and watched as we bickered and fought. Laughing rather a lot as I recall? Well, that's the sassy part of her that I love dearly but find so intensely irritating too..Shannon though just lets it bounce off his back. What a man!!

    Oh and YOU? A tad over-protective at times? Surely not?

    *BIG hugs* and thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon sounds like a truly wonderful man and perfect partner for your baby girl =)

    And Jeff overprotective? Maybe just a smidge..... ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely to hear such high praise about a man from his girl's mother, and even more exciting to hear Jeff give high praise! Believe me, I'd have never worried about my girls had Jeff been around to check out their suitors!

    Shannon, you've been highly praised with this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracey...yeah ok, maybe just a LITTLE bit over protective! Yes he IS the perfect partner for Lara and I hope it works out for them. Something tells me it just might :)

    Kate - Yes, it was rather lovely that he so approved of Shannon when they met. Another great thing is that Jeff completely has Lara sussed too..apparently Kate she can be a bit of a brat. Now I'm sure that YOU will have NO idea where she may get that from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where would Lara get that from? Hmmm..... ;)

    It is wonderful when out girls pick someone that we also love and adore. That has been a great fear of mine that my daughters will choose someone that I utterly despise and who is not good enough for them.

    Shannon seems like a wonderful young man, and I can't wait to meet him in April.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know WHERE she gets it from...it must be a weird genetic throwback to earlier generations or something:)

    Your girls will always pick somebody wonderful because you've raised them to respect themselves and to know that they deserve the very best. That's all it takes...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melly, just have Jeff "approve" your girls' boyfriends!

    Shannon sounds like a wonderful young man, but then so does Lara. I'd say a perfect match.

    Jeff? Protective? NAHHHH...... *snicker*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see a new 'business enterspise' coming on here for Jeff..I am sure that there are families the length and breadth of the country who would value his unique insight before they allow their little girls to hang with just any old oik...

    Seriously...there is mielage in this idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to agree with you there Diane, he could be handsomely paid by protective parents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jude- I don't need Jeff to do it as I am his female counterpart according to Diane, lol! I hold my own pretty damn well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Mel - she sounds like she's easily as psychotic as I am. :-)

    I used to introduce myself to my former-god-daughter's boyfriends with my SKS. The one with the folding bayonet. It never failed to make an impression - especially as I would explain the rules to them while demonstrating the weapon and amazingly, it usually ended up with the end of that bayonet somewhere in the near-vicinity of the organs a young, hormonal male most values.

    Never had a problem.

    Orion

    ReplyDelete