Thursday 7 January 2010

"It is the AMERICAN way..oh..it is the BRITISH way" (Sam the Eagle, 1992)

"In America sex is an obsession, in the rest of the world it is a fact."
Marlene Dietrich

I'm not sure of the total accuracy of the little quote above but initial indications are that there may be more than a sprinkling of truth to it. Conversations with friends on the left hand side of the pond over recent months lead me to believe that we may be a little more open and frank about all matters sexual over here in the UK but, being a historian at heart, I needed a little more than hear-say on which to base my assumptions. So, I set out on my quest for knowledge, searching through archives and literature in search of that one special piece of documentary evidence. Things weren't looking good for a while and I was feeling rather frustrated at my lack of progress until..suddenly..a flicker of a memory ignited somewhere in my brain and in one of those Eureka! moments I knew just where to look. So..here it is..proof of the fact that in the UK we see sex as a purely natural act, something to be proud of and discuss as a family..something that you could say is just a part of normal, everyday life.....








My garden last winter..we felt that in this age of equality and tolerance we would make him a hermaphrodite. Oh and yes, that is me hiding behind him...wearing what I do believe is a rather marvellous England Rugby top which somehow isn't hanging on the hook in the hall anymore :)

13 comments:

  1. Oh my! How very creative! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I tell you Tracey..the trouble we had hoisting those breasts into place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoulda used a bra...:-D

    And isn't the old phrase..."No sex please...we're British!"

    We Yanks are more kinky than anything you Brits ever thought of...Typical for the sexually repressed...

    Orion

    ReplyDelete
  4. How scandalous..did you not SEE how firm those puppies are? No bra is needed at all..in fact, to use one would be a travesty and an affront to pertness!

    Clearly the "No sex please..we're British" quote is just something that we say to foreign type people who wish to partake of our splendid skills and finesse in the art of hanky panky. We know that none are worthy so we like to pretend that we are not interested.

    More kinky than the Brits? Oh NOW you're just being plain silly..why our kinkiness is even talked about in parliament. Oh now, hold on, I got that wrong..it is UNDERTAKEN in parliament, normally between elderly MPs and busty young girls who have been smuggled in. It normally also involves a few toilet brushes and the odd geranium.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came in with a totally smarmy retort in mind, and Diane's last sentence just blew me away!

    *wanders away laughing hysterically*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the snowman (woman) has surgically enhanced breasts that require no bra. Kudos go to the plastic surgeon. ;)

    And you and I have discussed the sex thing concerning our children and we have different "comfort" levels regarding it I think, but that's okay. We wouldn't want to be totally the same. How boring would that be??!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh..can I only post one comment at a time? I did one for Mel, then added one for Tracey and Mel's disappeared!! How utterly vexing!

    Tracey - I am so pleased that I made you laugh and so wish I could have seen your hysterical wandering (creates quite the mental picture!)

    I would still very much like to hear your 'smarmy retort' though..it is VERY not fair of you to taunt us with it but then not let us share in your naughtiness :)

    Mel - heck, I can't remember what I said now, but it was something along the lines of the fact that I hadn't even thought of the little chat we had about the kids, but that I think our varying comfort levels there are also partly down to cultural differences and the norms of the countries we live in.

    I think I also said "Vive la difference" and that being all the same would be extremely boring (here I'm sure I added in a sarcastic - yes me! - comment about the fact that it would still be cool if you guys learnt to spell though!").

    I think that was the gist of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm insanely jealous of snowwoman's kanjungas. Mine will need shoes soon...... *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jude..it's been a while since we 'spoke' how are you? Oh and don't worry about your 'kanjungas'...mine started wearing shoes years ago and we're now at the stage where we are thinking of having steel toe-caps added, just to make them last that little bit longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you got us there. Our Congresscritters seem to spend more hanky-panky time on young boys rather than busty young women...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good grief this mentalpausal old hippie chick can't even spell. 'Tis "Kajungas", and yes steel-toed boots may just be in order soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha and there was me with such ultimate faith in you that I spelt it just the same way!! Actually, I just thought that maybe it was the Canaaaaadian way :)

    ReplyDelete